[elbe-devel] key in url not expected

John Ogness john.ogness at linutronix.de
Thu Feb 10 10:04:01 CET 2022

On 2022-02-09, "Steih, Martin" <Martin.Steih at lachmann-rink.de> wrote:
> I just stumbled across a phenomenon with the key tag within url.
>
> We are using a url in the manner like:
>
> <url>
>             <binary>
>                         http://debian.linutronix.de/elbe buster main
>             </binary>
> <source>
>                         http://debian.linutronix.de/elbe buster main
>             </source>
>                         <key>
>                                     http://debian.linutronix.de/elbe/elbe-repo.pub
>                         </key>
> </url>
>
> using elbe initvm submit xyz.xml, everything is fine.
>
> But if I try to
>
> elbe control set_xml xyz.xml, it complains about an unexpected element "key".
>
> In the schema dbsfed.xsd, I cannot find a definition of key within url at all.
>
> Does anyone know how this fits together?

The official XML element is called "raw-key", which is the ascii encoded
public key. You can see an example of this here:

https://github.com/Linutronix/elbe/blob/master/examples/x86_64-docker-elbe.xml#L28

Embedding the public key is important. Relying on an external source for
the accepted key is a security risk.

When you run "elbe initvm submit", there is a pre-process step that
occurs where the "key" element is read and downloaded and then converted
to the proper "raw-key" element.

You can manually run the pre-process step with "elbe preprocess". But
really you should be using "elbe initvm submit" so that you do not need
to be concerned about all the internal steps.

John Ogness