[elbe-devel] [BUG] UEFI boot

Manuel Traut manuel.traut at linutronix.de
Fri Feb 26 11:36:29 CET 2016

Hi Claudius,

> >> I am currently trying to create a rfs image for the Intel Galileo
> >> platform and had some issues with ELBE 1.0.
> >>
> >> The Intel Galileo platform uses UEFI to boot, so I had to setup a GPT
> >> partition layout and within it a FAT32 boot partition with the "0xEF00"
> >> partition type. I would expect that this partition type is
> >> automatically chosen within a GPT when I define the "bootable" tag for
> >> the partition.
> >>
> >> For some reason ELBE wants to add "LBA" flags to the partitions and
> >> because GPT doesn't support those an exception is raised.
> >>
> >> Is this a bug or am I missing something?
> >
> > if it ends in a backtrace it's always a bug :)
>
> Not always. For instance at some point I used elbe-testing on my host
> system and elbe 1.0 within the initvm because I forgot to change the
> repo paths within the XML and got backtraces because of SOAP protocol
> incompatibilities.

Then a backtrace is also not what i want to see. I would prefer a
human readable message. We didn't run into this case, so we couldn't
handle the exception. It would be helpful to post a bug report on the
ML or open an Issue on github including the backtrace. Than we can add
code to handle this.

> In my current experience, ELBE is a rather complex software piece and
> therefore its easy to do something wrong, forget something or
> misunderstand the documentation. Because I couldn't find any examples or
> "how-to" documentation about GPT partitions and UEFI, it is possible
> that I might have done something wrong or had wrong expectations about
> the process.

We would like to add examples, if they are contributed. We just haven't
used UEFI for a long time.

We are currently working on an automatic testsystem. This includes building
and verify all contributed examples.

> Hopefully in the future ELBE will develop into a tool, that meets my
> expectations or I will become more familiar with its inner workings to
> be able to differentiate bugs in the software and a fault on my part.

You can also join #elbe on freenode. Often chat is faster and easier
for short questions.

> For instance in the example of the SOAP protocol incompatibilities I
> would have expected a warning or error message about the incompatible
> interface. Instead I got a backtrace with some text about the number of
> parameters that didn't match.

:) Okay i see our exceptions are the same.

  Manuel