[elbe-devel] passwd and group files on a busybox system

Manuel Traut manuel.traut at linutronix.de
Tue Nov 8 08:42:10 CET 2016

Hi Ralf,

On 17:22 Mon 07 Nov     , Ralf Schlatterbeck wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 07, 2016 at 02:10:28PM +0100, Manuel Traut wrote:
> > imho, the following finetuning rule should give the expected result:
> > <b2t_cp path="/etc/passwd">/etc/passwd</b2t_cp>
> >
> > This copies the passwd file from the 'full-blown' debootstraped RFS
> > (aka. buildenv or chroot) into your diet/tighten based RFS (aka target).
>
> Thanks!
> OK, I'm still unsure if the added users in that passwd file will really
> always be the same uids gids as on the target. The installation sequence
> might still differ.

it shouldn't. It is not the /etc/passwd from the initvm. It is copied from
the same system, as the other files for your target.

> Doesn't debian have its own mechanism for updating (or creating in the
> first place) /etc/passwd? And if yes, how can I make this work? Am I
> only missing a shell on the target? In that case I could install dash
> and leter remove it again in finetuning.

I'm not sure, but i think the /etc/passwd is created and updated in some
postinst steps. These files are not copied to the target, and the postinst
steps are not executed on the target in diet/tighten mode.

  Manuel