[elbe-devel] buildchroot subcommand missing in elbe v1.1 (Debian jessie)

Lukasz Walewski lwalewski at s-can.at
Wed Feb 22 14:37:52 CET 2017

Hi,

First of all thanks for providing Elbe - great work!

I am porting a project from elbe v0.9.4 (running on Debian wheezy) to the current Debian jessie version (elbe v1.1 from the official repo). I reckon that the 1.1 version does not support all subcommands 0.9.4 used to support, in particular it does not seem to recognize the "buildchroot" subcommand among others:

lwa at jessie:~$ elbe buildchroot
Unknown subcommand !

elbe v1.1
need a subcommand: e.g. 'elbe initvm'.
    Available subcommands are:

        * check_updates
        * chg_archive
        * control
        * diff
        * get_archive
        * init
        * initvm
        * pbuilder
        * pkgdiff
        * remove_sign
        * setsel
        * show
        * sign
        * validate
        * xsdtoasciidoc

I managed to build my project anyway using the "initvm create" subcommand, but it's far less efficient than the old "buildchroot", i.e. it takes ~20 minutes to build, compared to ~4 minutes previously (same XML input, same hardware, different Debian VM, omitted the currently unsupported --skip-cdrom option), moreover the output directory has now ~6 GB, compared to ~2.5 GB.

Apart from performance issues, the current output does not provide full access to the target file system, which is necessary to extract e.g. the kernel and the initramfs images (I am aware of the "control get_file" subcommand, but it does not accept wildcards on source files and requires that the directory structure is mirrored at the destination while getting files from subdirectories).

What is the "proper way" of doing things with elbe v1.1? Maybe I missed the point completely?

Best regards,
Lukasz

---
Dr. Lukasz Walewski
s::can Messtechnik GmbH
Brigittagasse 22-24, A-1200 Wien

scan Messtechnik GmbH
Brigittagasse 22-24
A-1200 Wien/Vienna
tel. +43 1 219 73 93 - 0
fax +43 1 219 73 93 - 12
http://www.s-can.at
office at s-can.at

Geschaeftsfuehrer/President: DI Andreas Weingartner
Firmenbuchnummer/Incorporation No: FN178880i
Gerichtsstand/Court of Jurisdiction: Wien/Vienna

s::can - intelligent, optical, online

i::scan - compact, precise and affordable!
UV254::NTU::FTU::TOC::DOC::COD::BOD::Colour ...and many more to come!
http://www.i-scan.at