[elbe-devel] elbe initvm attach -> login does not work after upgrading from 1.1 to 1.2 stable

Lukasz Walewski lwalewski at s-can.at
Mon Jul 3 11:26:36 CEST 2017

Hello Frank,

>it seems that this bug only shows up in an actual Debian Stretch.
>On Jessie it may have another reason, why sometimes the login doesn't
>show up, but as you are having a working initvm, everything is fine.

Yes, you're right. My last report concerned the jessie version. On stretch your fix works perfectly, although my qemu defaults to pc-i440fx-2.8 and not to pc-i440fx-2.7.

I think my problem under jessie was different than under stretch. The initvm created with elbe v1.1 still booted after the upgrade to elbe v1.2 but it did not show the login prompt any more. After rebuilding the initvm with elbe v1.2 it not only booted but also showed the login prompt as expected. So my conclusion would be that after upgrading elbe (at least from v1.1 to v1.2) the old initvm should be deleted and a new one should be created. Does it hold in general for elbe upgrades?

On stretch instead, the problem was exactly as described in the bug tracker entry you pointed out: the initvm did not boot at all, it consumed a lot of cpu instead and it was not possible either to attach nor to query it with e.g. "elbe control list_projects".

What do you think is the status of the bug in qemu? The last entry in the bug tracker you mentioned dates back to 2016-11-03 and there are no further actions since then. What should be the solution (in contrast to the workaround with fixing the Makefile) for elbe users?

Best regards,
Lukasz

scan Messtechnik GmbH
Brigittagasse 22-24
A-1200 Wien/Vienna
tel. +43 1 219 73 93 - 0
fax +43 1 219 73 93 - 12
http://www.s-can.at
office at s-can.at

Geschaeftsfuehrer/President: DI Andreas Weingartner
Firmenbuchnummer/Incorporation No: FN178880i
Gerichtsstand/Court of Jurisdiction: Wien/Vienna

s::can - intelligent, optical, online

i::scan - compact, precise and affordable!
UV254::NTU::FTU::TOC::DOC::COD::BOD::Colour ...and many more to come!
http://www.i-scan.at