[elbe-devel] How to create an encrypted rootfs image using Elbe?

Lukasz Walewski lwalewski at s-can.at
Tue Jul 4 08:05:26 CEST 2017

Hi,

I think my question was too general, so I narrow the scope here. We are planning to use the cryptsetup package to encrypt the RFS generated with elbe. One way to do that is to mount the RFS as a loop device and manipulate it using cryptsetup. Since mounting a loop device and manipulating it requires root privileges we would like to encapsulate those tasks. The elbe initvm provides a perfect, secure environment for such tasks and we are using it anyway so there would be no additional cost in setting things up.

My question is whether it is possible to execute commands within initvm *after* the RFS has been generated? - I mean something similar to <finetuning> commands but executed after the RFS generation.

To reveal my attitude: I am looking for a clean solution that encapsulates code running with root privileges, which could be safely integrated in an automated build system.

I would be grateful for your ideas/suggestions.

Best regards,
Lukasz

scan Messtechnik GmbH
Brigittagasse 22-24