[elbe-devel] Are Debian maintainer scripts executed by Elbe?

Lukasz Walewski lwalewski at s-can.at
Mon Jun 12 14:15:51 CEST 2017

Hi,

I have problems understanding the following piece of the documentation at https://elbe-rfs.org/docs/elbeoverview-en.html:

"On regular Debian installations, init scripts installed by packages are
started automatically during the post-installation step. Please note that
Elbe will not start any services during package installation"

What I (think I) do understand, is what is meant here with:

1. "init scripts" - the scripts located in /etc/init.d etc, and run by init or systemd at system startup
2. "post-installation step" - the, so called, Debian maintainer scripts (e.g. postinst) run by dpkg while installing a package

What I do *not* understand is what "Elbe will not start any services during package installation" means, i.e. whether Elbe:

1. does not run maintainer scripts
2. does not run /etc/init.d scripts

The reason I'm asking is that I am installing the package initramfs-tools, whose postinst script on regular Debian installations generates the initramfs image in /boot/initrd.img-$(uname -r) but I don't see any in RFS build by Elbe. So the question arises, whether Elbe does not trigger the initramfs-tools' postinst or the image gets (re)moved after being generated?

Thanks & regards,
Lukasz

[http://www.s-can.at/disclaimer/ACE_2017_banner.jpg]

ACE 2017

AWWA Annual Conference & Exhibition
04.06.2017 - 11.06.2017
Philadelphia, USA

Meet us at booth 2649

scan Messtechnik GmbH
Brigittagasse 22-24
A-1200 Wien/Vienna
tel. +43 1 219 73 93 - 0
fax +43 1 219 73 93 - 12
http://www.s-can.at
office at s-can.at

Geschaeftsfuehrer/President: DI Andreas Weingartner
Firmenbuchnummer/Incorporation No: FN178880i
Gerichtsstand/Court of Jurisdiction: Wien/Vienna

s::can - intelligent, optical, online

i::scan - compact, precise and affordable!
UV254::NTU::FTU::TOC::DOC::COD::BOD::Colour ...and many more to come!
http://www.i-scan.at