[elbe-devel] How to make Elbe abort if a finetuning command fails?

Manuel Traut manuel.traut at linutronix.de
Fri Sep 8 09:24:33 CEST 2017

Hi,

> >> agree. It'd be nice feature to have.
> >> I've generated couple of times broken images.
> >
> >I don't want to stopp maybe a time-sensitive image build because of a
> >typo.
>
> Well.. applying this logic to compiler design would result in a compiler that keeps building a binary regardless of syntax errors. Put other way, you insist on building even if the result is known to be wrong. In my opinion it's bad design, which already drove at least three users to problems. I fully agree with Erich that the default should be "abort on errors".

Even compilers distinguish between warnings and errors. Compiler warnings can
also result in non-working or buggy binaries. A compiler error just means,
the compiler can't do the job at all.

> >I want to improve logging to have loglevels. E.g. a failing finetuning
> >rule will be in loglevel CRITICAL, all critical errors will be listed in e.g.
> >validation.txt.
>
> Well.. after *successfully* building an image nobody cares of log files. One realizes that the build has gone wrong a lot later, after deploying the broken image on the target and trying to figure out WTF is going on. This process takes *a lot longer* than aborting the build immediately, fixing the typo and restarting it again.

We can add an option like -Werror, or default to that. But before we need to
detect and report them in all build-steps.