[elbe-devel] Problem using elbe on a Ubuntu 17.10 Machine

Manuel Traut manuel.traut at linutronix.de
Wed Apr 4 13:33:51 CEST 2018

Hi Dominik,

On Thu, Feb 01, 2018 at 11:47:06AM +0100, Dominik wrote:

> I'm trying to use elbe (release/v2.0 from git). My Hostsystem runs Ubuntu
> 17.10.
>
> The initvm-step fails while trying to partitioning a disk (see
> elbe_initvm.out).
>
> dmesg gives the following error if i run './elbe initvm create --directory=
> initvm':
>
> [Feb 1 09:37] kvm [24708]: vcpu0, guest rIP: 0xffffffff81052ae4 disabled
> perfctr wrmsr: 0xc1 data 0xffff

this is not relevant.

> Have you got any idea what could cause this issue?

is python-apt installed?

Because the elbe-bootstrap package that is downloaded by the fallback code, that
is used if python-apt is missing, is outdated.

http://debian.linutronix.de/elbe-common/pool/main/e/elbe-bootstrap/elbe-bootstrap_20150422+deb8u5+jessie141_amd64.deb
would be the correct package.

I opened an issue for this: https://github.com/Linutronix/elbe/issues/145

With an outdated elbe-bootstrap package (containing the linux kernel)
the ext4 module downloaded by the installer will not be loaded into the kernel
and so the partitioning fails.

  Manuel

> Best Regards,
> Dominik

PS: please use the elbe-users ML for this kind of questions (cc'd)