[elbe-devel] Install newest available version of a package that belongs to the base system

Lukasz Walewski lwalewski at s-can.at
Thu Feb 8 09:59:39 CET 2018

Hi,

Assume I want to have package "some-package" installed in my RFS image at the newest version available. The main Debian mirror (e.g. http://deb.debian.org/debian) contains version 1.1.1-1 of some-package. The other Debian mirror that publishes regular updates (e.g. http://security.debian.org/debian-security) contains version 2.2.2-2 of some-package. Here is what I do:

1. include the desired package in the <pkg-list/>:
<pkg-list>
<pkg>some-package</pkg>
</pkg-list>

2. specify the main Debian mirror in the <primary_host/>:
<primary_host>http://deb.debian.org/debian</primary_host>

3. specify the update mirror in the <url-list/>:
<url-list>
<url>
<binary>http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates main</binary>
</url>
</url-list>

That works as expected in most cases, i.e. version 2.2.2-2 of some-package gets installed in the resulting RFS image. However, if "some-package" happens to be part of the base system (the set of packages installed by debootstrap before <pkg-list/> gets processed), the version 1.1.1-1 gets installed instead. Apparently elbe does not upgrade packages installed by debootstrap, even though newer versions are available from secondary mirrors.

How can I get the newest available version of a package that belongs to the base system?

Best regards,
Lukasz

[s::can goes industrial]

scan Messtechnik GmbH
Brigittagasse 22-24
A-1200 Wien/Vienna
tel. +43 1 219 73 93 - 0
fax +43 1 219 73 93 - 12
http://www.s-can.at
office at s-can.at

Geschaeftsfuehrer/President: DI Andreas Weingartner
Firmenbuchnummer/Incorporation No: FN178880i
Gerichtsstand/Court of Jurisdiction: Wien/Vienna