[elbe-devel] Install newest available version of a package that belongs to the base system

Lukasz Walewski lwalewski at s-can.at
Thu Feb 8 11:04:46 CET 2018

Hi John,

>On 2018-02-08, Lukasz Walewski <lwalewski at s-can.at> wrote:
>> Assume I want to have package "some-package" installed in my RFS image
>> at the newest version available. The main Debian mirror
>> (e.g. http://deb.debian.org/debian) contains version 1.1.1-1 of
>> some-package. The other Debian mirror that publishes regular updates
>> (e.g. http://security.debian.org/debian-security) contains version
>> 2.2.2-2 of some-package. Here is what I do:
>>
>> 1. include the desired package in the <pkg-list/>:
>> <pkg-list>
>> <pkg>some-package</pkg>
>> </pkg-list>
>>
>> 2. specify the main Debian mirror in the <primary_host/>:
>> <primary_host>http://deb.debian.org/debian</primary_host>
>>
>> 3. specify the update mirror in the <url-list/>:
>> <url-list>
>> <url>
>> <binary>http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates
>main</binary>
>> </url>
>> </url-list>
>>
>> That works as expected in most cases, i.e. version 2.2.2-2 of
>> some-package gets installed in the resulting RFS image. However, if
>> "some-package" happens to be part of the base system (the set of
>> packages installed by debootstrap before <pkg-list/> gets processed),
>> the version 1.1.1-1 gets installed instead. Apparently elbe does not
>> upgrade packages installed by debootstrap, even though newer versions
>> are available from secondary mirrors.
>>
>> How can I get the newest available version of a package that belongs
>> to the base system?
>
>How about adding a finetuning command?
>
>    <command>apt-get -y upgrade</command>

Yes, that (sort of) works! I came up with this idea myself, but I consider it to be a hack rather than a solution. The default behavior for base system packages is different from that for all other packages, which is extremely confusing: the user doesn't have to know which packages are "base system" and which are not. Besides, that might change without notice and is out of control of elbe.

Another disadvantage of the above is that the version reported in the "Installed Packages List" section of elbe-report.txt is the "base system" version and not the actually installed version. In particular, the version reported there is wrong, if the package was upgraded in <finetuning/>.

Any other ideas?

Best,
Lukasz

[s::can goes industrial]

scan Messtechnik GmbH
Brigittagasse 22-24
A-1200 Wien/Vienna
tel. +43 1 219 73 93 - 0
fax +43 1 219 73 93 - 12
http://www.s-can.at
office at s-can.at

Geschaeftsfuehrer/President: DI Andreas Weingartner
Firmenbuchnummer/Incorporation No: FN178880i
Gerichtsstand/Court of Jurisdiction: Wien/Vienna