[elbe-devel] Package version specified with <pkg version=""/> attribute gets silently ignored

Lukasz Walewski lwalewski at s-can.at
Wed Feb 14 12:32:00 CET 2018

Hi,

Suppose I want to install a particular version of package A, say version X, in my resulting RFS image. In order to achieve that I request the desired version using:

<pkg version="X">A</pkg>

If version X is not available from any of the mirrors specified in the <mirror/> tag, but instead version Y is available, it will be *silently* installed without issuing any warning, not mentioning halting the build with an error.

I consider this behavior to be a serious issue, since the user that requests a particular version obviously knows what he is doing, but doesn't get what he explicitly requested, and that without a smallest sign of a failure! This renders the "version" attribute useless as you cannot trust that it will have any influence on the build process: it gets silently ignored at circumstances described above.

If the "version" attribute is an unsupported/undocumented feature (I don't see it in the current "XML Reference" nor in the examples), what is the supported/recommended way of requesting a particular version when many are available (equivalent to "apt-get install A=X")?

Best,
Lukasz

[s::can goes industrial]

scan Messtechnik GmbH
Brigittagasse 22-24
A-1200 Wien/Vienna
tel. +43 1 219 73 93 - 0
fax +43 1 219 73 93 - 12
http://www.s-can.at
office at s-can.at

Geschaeftsfuehrer/President: DI Andreas Weingartner
Firmenbuchnummer/Incorporation No: FN178880i
Gerichtsstand/Court of Jurisdiction: Wien/Vienna