[elbe-devel] Elbe 2.x installs additional/unnecessary packages in RFS (possible regression wrt 1.x)

Manuel Traut manuel.traut at linutronix.de
Wed Jan 3 06:58:16 CET 2018

Hi Lukasz.

> I noticed that elbe 2.x adds the option "--include=apt-listchanges" to the debootstrap call (elbe 1.x didn't do that). Consequently, the package apt-listchanges and its dependencies get installed into the resulting image. The image built with 2.x is thus larger than that built with 1.x series - in my case the difference yields 6 MB, which is non-negligible.

it was removed during the 3.x development cycle again:

https://github.com/Linutronix/elbe/commit/1f66a1e2b4bbe5b9ed9c5f2c6264f7598382e7f7#diff-c664ae48e80b6a52d76cbc528a16663e

> While I can understand the necessity of having the apt-listchanges package and its dependencies in the chroot image, I am not convinced that they are all necessary in the resulting/production image.

That's right. If posible it should be removed during target generation again.

> The list of additional base dependencies installed in the RFS by elbe 2.x (and not installed by elbe 1.x) follows,
>
> mime-support
> python
> python2.7
> python2.7-minimal
> python-apt
> python-apt-common
> python-minimal
> python-support
> ucf
>
> How can I prevent elbe from pulling in these dependencies into my production image?

We could cherry-pick the commit mentioned above for elbe-2.x
However it avoids running the code on sid. So i'd love to see a better fix like
described above.

Is it posible to <purge>apt-listchanges</purge> via finetuning?

Regards,

   Manuel