[elbe-devel] Elbe 2.2 requests more memory for PostgreSQL clusters than 1.2 did, which breaks existing devices running Debian 7 (wheezy)

Lukasz Walewski lwalewski at s-can.at
Thu Jan 4 12:39:43 CET 2018

Hi,

Building a <suite>wheezy</suite> image with elbe 2.2 results in a different PostgreSQL cluster configuration than with elbe 1.2. In particular the shared_buffers setting in /etc/postgresql/9.1/main/postgresql.conf differs - with elbe 1.2 it used to be:

shared_buffers = 24MB

while with elbe 2.2 it is:

shared_buffers = 32MB

The increased amount of shared buffer memory requested by PostgreSQL cannot be allocated on my hardware (existing product, which we still need to support) and the RDBMS fails to start.

Long story short: same XML, same build machine, same target device, different elbe version -> product broken.

This has probably something to do with the fact, that elbe 2.2 creates a Debian 8 (jessie) initvm while the 1.2 does Debian 7 (wheezy). Note, that the PostgreSQL conffiles in /etc/postgresql/ get generated upon package installation, so obviously some maintainer script works differently when run in chroot on Debian 8 and 7 - maybe the postinst script gets something from the host's environment that chroot cannot hide?

Any idea how to fix that?

Thanks & regards,
Lukasz

[http://www.s-can.at/disclaimer/scan_industrial.jpg]

scan Messtechnik GmbH
Brigittagasse 22-24
A-1200 Wien/Vienna
tel. +43 1 219 73 93 - 0
fax +43 1 219 73 93 - 12
http://www.s-can.at
office at s-can.at

Geschaeftsfuehrer/President: DI Andreas Weingartner
Firmenbuchnummer/Incorporation No: FN178880i
Gerichtsstand/Court of Jurisdiction: Wien/Vienna