[elbe-devel] Versions and stable releases

Manuel Traut manuel.traut at linutronix.de
Mon Oct 8 16:34:34 CEST 2018

Hi,

On 10:00 Tue 25 Sep     , Eugenio Celant wrote:
> Hi, we have been using ELBE in our projects for a few months now and
> we see it as a really good tool to build RFS from scratch. Having
> said this, we have been using both the 2.3 version and the 3.0
> version without any meaningful difference whatsoever so we are not
> sure which version should we really use.

i'm suprised about the 3.0 version, because this doesn't.

The current elbe version is 2.3 and the current elbe testing/development
version is 2.9.12.

If the 2.9.x series is stable, 3.0 or just 3 will be released.

Because the known-bugs list is still quiet long:
https://github.com/Linutronix/elbe/labels/bug
i don't expect an elbe 3 release soon.

I plan to switch the development model after the elbe 3 release.
So that each newly added feature will become a new major elbe and there
will be no more testing/development releases. Because currently getting
so much features and improvements into a stable shape is no fun..

> Is there a stable
> branch/version that we can use in order to be sure no disruptive
> changes can occur during development?

Version 2.3 is the current stable version. We recommend to use this
version.

> Is there any way for us to
> know which are the goals long-term for the project?

This is somekind of whishlist:
https://github.com/Linutronix/elbe/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3Aenhancement

But it's an open-source project. Feel free to join and implement the
features you're missing ;)

> Also, a bit of
> constructive criticism, we would love to have more "meaningful"
> changelogs to better understand which were the milestones achieved
> and which the bugs encountered during development without having to
> read through all commits.

Some kind of 'high-level' changelog is available in the debianization:
https://github.com/Linutronix/elbe/blob/devel/elbe-2.0/debian/changelog

Regards,

  Manuel