[elbe-devel] Custom Kernel with elbe pbuilder

Manuel Traut manut at linutronix.de
Fri Feb 8 17:11:30 CET 2019

Hi,

On 15:57 Tue 05 Feb     , Kurt Kanzenbach wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 05, 2019 at 03:29:06PM +0100, Ralf Schlatterbeck wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 05, 2019 at 12:51:31PM +0000, Steih, Martin wrote:
> > > i am trying to build a rfs with a customized kernel. As a template I
> > > am using
> > > https://github.com/Linutronix/elbe/wiki/Tutorial:-rootfs-with-custom-debian-packages
> > > this link. My problem is, that elbe pbuilder complains about bison and
> > > flex being unavailable.
>
> newer kernel versions require bison and flex as dependencies. elbe
> debianize will generate a debian/ folder for you. In debian/control add
> bison and flex to the build dependencies (-> Build-Depends). That should
> solve your problem.
>
> > I tried to fix it by passing those packages
> > > into the project section of the elbe xml file. Unfortunately that does
> > > not solve the problem. Has anyone any suggestions?
> >
> > I also had problems building a kernel package inside elbe. My solution
> > was to cross-compile a kernel package (modern kernels have a deb-pkg
> > target to directly build a debian package and debian comes with the
> > necessary arm cross-compilers) and make it available in an additional
> > local repository.
>
> Right, that is the second solution for getting a custom kernel into an
> elbe build.

If you use the 'elbe control' commands (create, set_xml, build) instead of
elbe initvm submit, you can use 'elbe prj_repo upload_pkg' after a project
was created to add packages to an elbe initvm internal repository that is
automatically included while building the image. But also in this case you
need to add the package to the pkg-list of your XML. It just helps in a way,
that you don't need to build your own repository.

BTW. this repo also includes all packages built by pbuilder and is automaticly
used by pbuilder to retrieve Build-depends from.

> > If you manage to build inside ELBE using pbuilder a howto here to the
> > list would be nice.

Also patches against the docs/* repository are very welcome for all kind
of tutorials.

Regards,
  Manu