[elbe-devel] My initvm is growing with every build until my storage is full

Olivier Dion dion at linutronix.de
Fri Jul 31 04:45:53 CEST 2020

On Thu, 30 Jul 2020, Martin Petzold <martin.petzold at tavla.de> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> what is going wrong: my initvm is growing with every build until my
> storage is full. Builds are successful and there are no projects left
> (list_projects). This was not the case before.
>
> COMMAND: elbe initvm --skip-build-bin --skip-build-sources --output
> ./target/xyz submit ./src/elbe/xyz/live.xml

Yeahh .. I saw that too on my drive.  I can investigate what's taking so
much space.  But I think that it's QEMU that is making huge holes in its
image.  If you're using the latest Elbe version, you can delete your
image and rebuild it in an instant because of COW.

Doing the following will give you a fresh small initvm in an instant:

 1.  elbe initvm stop
 2.  cd /path/to/initvm-dir
 3.  rm initvm.img
 4.  make

You could optionnally reformat the 'buildenv.img' to qcow2 then back to
raw, if you're not on the latest version.  This should truncate the
holes.

--
Olivier Dion
Linutronix GmbH | Bahnhofstrasse 3 | D-88690 Uhldingen-Mühlhofen