[elbe-devel] adding chrony breaks build

ew.foe at nassur.net ew.foe at nassur.net
Fri Oct 8 12:41:19 CEST 2021

Hello,

I would like to add chrony to a build, so I add
   <pkg>chrony</pkg>
to a working .xml build description. Now the build fails:

Mark for install "chrony"
[INFO] Package List validation
[ERROR] Package 'chrony' is not installed
[INFO] Build finished with Error
elbe control wait_busy Failed

I don't find any better error messages.

On the image without chrony installed, I can install it
via apt on the command line. Of course, it issues a few
messages while overriding systemd-timesyncd.

# apt install chrony
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Suggested packages:
   dnsutils networkd-dispatcher
The following packages will be REMOVED:
   systemd-timesyncd
   chrony
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 263 kB of archives.
After this operation, 301 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Get:1 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/main armhf chrony armhf
4.0-8 [263 k
B]
Fetched 263 kB in 0s (1580 kB/s)
dpkg: systemd-timesyncd: dependency problems, but removing anyway as
you request
ed:
  systemd depends on systemd-timesyncd | time-daemon; however:
   Package systemd-timesyncd is to be removed.
   Package time-daemon is not installed.
   Package systemd-timesyncd which provides time-daemon is to be removed.
  systemd depends on systemd-timesyncd | time-daemon; however:
   Package systemd-timesyncd is to be removed.
   Package time-daemon is not installed.
   Package systemd-timesyncd which provides time-daemon is to be removed.

(Reading database ... 41290 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing systemd-timesyncd (247.3-6) ...
Selecting previously unselected package chrony.
(Reading database ... 41277 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../chrony_4.0-8_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking chrony (4.0-8) ...
Setting up chrony (4.0-8) ...

Creating config file /etc/chrony/chrony.conf with new version

Creating config file /etc/chrony/chrony.keys with new version
dpkg-statoverride: warning: --update given but /var/log/chrony does not exist
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/chronyd.service ▒→
/lib/systemd/system/chro
ny.service.
Created symlink
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/chrony.service ▒→ /
lib/systemd/system/chrony.service.
Processing triggers for man-db (2.9.4-2) ...
#

So, I /suspect/ that installing chrony is producing someting unexpected,
which makes the build fail.
I currently work around this by installing chrony in a script called during
the finetuning stage.

Any pointers are appreciated,
Cheers,

Erich