[minicoredumper] Fix some autotools related issues and add coredump rotation

John Ogness john.ogness at linutronix.de
Mon Mar 11 16:59:17 CET 2019

Hi Juergen,

Thanks for your work on this!

On 2019-03-11, Juergen Borleis <jbe at pengutronix.de> wrote:
> this set does some changes at the buildsystem level to have it
> up-to-date.

I will need some time to go through and verify all the autotools
changes. But going through the patches, they look good.

> The last change adds a "rotation" feature to the 'minicoredumper' in
> order to support long running systems where sometimes an application
> crashes,

Over the past few years I have received various requests for tasks like
this. However, they all vary to some degree. I was thinking that rather
than implementing all kinds of pre-/post-processing features, the
minicoredumper should just support calling pre-/post-scripts. Then the
rotation feature, for example, could be implemented as a pre-script.

Until now my advice for people has always been to write a wrapper script
that does what they want, then exec's minicoredumper. But if
minicoredumper actually had a pre-/post-script feature, then the scripts
could be recept-based (so that different scripts are called depending on
what crashed).

What are your thoughts on this? Do you agree that a pre-/post-script
feature would be better than implementing things like rotation?

John Ogness