[elbe-devel] armhf buildtype on PC host?

Manuel Traut manut at linutronix.de
Tue Nov 17 11:28:09 CET 2015

Hi Norbert,

> possibly, my previous post contained to many different topics,

I'm currently reworking the website and documentation.
The changes will be published soon. Thanks for your feedback!

> so I
> will try to rephrase the one crucial problem that I am currently
> stuck on:
>
> I am trying to set up a build environment for my ARM board, using my
> Intel notebook as development machine.
>
> I am running the current git version of elbe (devel/elbe-1.0,
> commit: 00ae84aa6e)
>
> I have copied together a minimal ELBE XML file (see attached) from
> the rather confusing pieces of documentation.
>
> Running
>     elbe initvm create arm-example.xml
> on this file, the log shows kvm being started up, running an amd64
> kernel, and the process list shows qemu-system-x86_64 running.
>
> * Why are the armhf settings in the XML file ignored?

They aren't. The x86 VM is used to be in a known environment to ensure
reproducability.

> * How should a x86_64 VM be used to create images for an ARM board?!?

Inside the x86 vm qemu-user-arm is used to generate the target.

> * Is the initvm method ready to be used for this purpose?

sure.

> * Should I use the devel/elbe-1.0 branch at all or should I stick
> with master or elbe-0.5.8?

Please use devel/elbe-1.0 and have a look at docs/quickstart.txt
and docs/elbeoverview-en.txt, also the slides from Chemnitzer Linuxtage
2015 you can find at the elbe-rfs.org front-page and the according
audio recordings [0] should help you to understand the basic concepts.

Regards,

  Manuel

[0] https://chemnitzer.linux-tage.de/2015/de/programm/beitrag/208