[elbe-devel] elbe-testing v1.9.23

Lukasz Walewski lwalewski at s-can.at
Thu Jul 6 09:02:47 CEST 2017

I:
1) created a VMware VM with Debian 9.0 (stretch) from the official repo
2) enabled virtualization of the CPU in the VM Processor Settings (Virtualize Intel VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI)
3) installed elbe v1.9.24 from "elbe-testing"
4) created a new initvm instance with "elbe initvm create"

My versions of the seabios and qemu-system-x86 packages are exactly the same as those presented above, so is the output of the lsb_release command. The initvm gets created correctly (no error messages during build) but after elbe reboots the initvm at the end of the building process:

$ elbe initvm create
Requesting system reboot
[  641.468543] reboot: Restarting system
mkdir -p .stamps
touch .stamps/stamp-install-initial-image
*****

it does not boot correctly. The qemu-system-x86 process uses ~150% of CPU (apparently "does something" in the background) but I cannot connect to the initvm: I get the tmux screen with the green bar at the bottom, but no login prompt is presented:

$ elbe initvm attach
/usr/bin/kvm -M pc \
        -device virtio-rng-pci \
        -device virtio-net-pci,netdev=user.0 \
        -drive file=buildenv.img,if=virtio,bus=1,unit=0 \
        -no-reboot \
        -netdev user,ipv4,id=user.0,hostfwd=tcp::5022-:22,hostfwd=tcp::7587-:7588 \
        -m 1024 \
        -usb \
        -nographic \
        -smp `nproc`

[ElbeInitV0:initvm*                                                   "stretch" 08:35 06-Jul-17

I can't submit jobs to it either: "elbe initvm submit", "elbe control list_projects" and other commands just hang and do nothing. That also applies to "elbe initvm stop", so the only way to proceed is to kill the tmux session.

The issue can be resolved editing the initvm/Makefile and changing the MACHINE value from "pc" to "pc-i440fx-2.6"

< MACHINE?=pc
---
> MACHINE?=pc-i440fx-2.6

With this modification the initvm starts correctly, I can attach and submit XML files to it as usual.

Best regards,
Lukasz

scan Messtechnik GmbH
Brigittagasse 22-24
A-1200 Wien/Vienna
tel. +43 1 219 73 93 - 0
fax +43 1 219 73 93 - 12
http://www.s-can.at
office at s-can.at

Geschaeftsfuehrer/President: DI Andreas Weingartner
Firmenbuchnummer/Incorporation No: FN178880i
Gerichtsstand/Court of Jurisdiction: Wien/Vienna

s::can - intelligent, optical, online

i::scan - compact, precise and affordable!
UV254::NTU::FTU::TOC::DOC::COD::BOD::Colour ...and many more to come!
http://www.i-scan.at