[elbe-devel] elbe-testing v1.9.23

Lukasz Walewski lwalewski at s-can.at
Fri Jul 7 16:21:53 CEST 2017

Hi Manuel,

That is a bad news for us, since we run all our build servers in VMware :(

>Is there a way to detect, that we run on a netsted vmware setup? Than we
>could at least give a hint, that there is a known bug and describe the
>workaround.

Hm.. I am not aware of any reliable technique so far. An internet search returned some interesting hits, e.g. [1,2] (didn't try them out though) but I do not know how portable/reliable would you like to be here. Brute-force approaches rely on greping the dmesg for different things, e.g.:

$ dmesg | grep -i hypervisor
[    0.000000] Hypervisor detected: VMware
[    0.000000] Host bus clock speed read from hypervisor : 66000000 Hz
[    0.000000] TSC freq read from hypervisor : 3398.079 MHz
[    5.611024] [drm] Max dedicated hypervisor surface memory is 0 kiB

But it doesn't give predictable results, as the output varies with Debian versions. I don't know, if this technique could be used to differentiate among different virtualization techniques.

Am I going in the right direction?

Best regards,
Lukasz

[1] http://www.ouah.org/Red_%20Pill.html
[2] http://www.trapkit.de/tools/scoopyng/index.html

scan Messtechnik GmbH
Brigittagasse 22-24
A-1200 Wien/Vienna
tel. +43 1 219 73 93 - 0
fax +43 1 219 73 93 - 12
http://www.s-can.at
office at s-can.at

Geschaeftsfuehrer/President: DI Andreas Weingartner
Firmenbuchnummer/Incorporation No: FN178880i
Gerichtsstand/Court of Jurisdiction: Wien/Vienna

s::can - intelligent, optical, online

i::scan - compact, precise and affordable!
UV254::NTU::FTU::TOC::DOC::COD::BOD::Colour ...and many more to come!
http://www.i-scan.at