[elbe-devel] Finetuning (was: How to create an encrypted rootfs image using Elbe?)

Lukasz Walewski lwalewski at s-can.at
Mon Jul 10 10:20:13 CEST 2017

Hi Manuel,

Below are my further thoughts on adding flexibility to the <finetuning> feature.

IMHO: The XML tag that triggers the archive extraction task (BTW: is it currently implemented or is it a planned feature?) should refer to a particular <finetuning> section. Otherwise it is undefined whether the overlay should be extracted before/after e.g. this section gets executed:

<finetuning runafter='imagegen'>

or should it rather be extracted before/after this one:

<finetuning runafter='debootstrap'>

This approach, however, would require adding some IDs to the <finetuning> tags to differentiate among them:

<finetuning runafter='debootstrap' id='runafter-debootstrap'/>
<finetuning runafter='imagegen' id='runafter-imagegen'/>
<overlay extract='before_ft' ft_id='runafter-imagegen'/>

But now it is getting a bit clumsy to my taste. Perhaps defining some kind of build steps/stages would be advantageous, then the structure could be simplified to something like:

<finetuning after='debootstrap'/>
<finetuning before='some-other-step'/>
<finetuning after='imagegen'/>
<overlay after='debootstrap'/>

One could additionally *assert* that <finetuning> is - by definition - run before (or after) extracting the overlay.
What do you think?

>Do you mind adding this to the github issues list?

This is now done.

Best,
Lukasz

scan Messtechnik GmbH
Brigittagasse 22-24
A-1200 Wien/Vienna
tel. +43 1 219 73 93 - 0
fax +43 1 219 73 93 - 12
http://www.s-can.at
office at s-can.at

Geschaeftsfuehrer/President: DI Andreas Weingartner
Firmenbuchnummer/Incorporation No: FN178880i
Gerichtsstand/Court of Jurisdiction: Wien/Vienna

s::can - intelligent, optical, online

i::scan - compact, precise and affordable!
UV254::NTU::FTU::TOC::DOC::COD::BOD::Colour ...and many more to come!
http://www.i-scan.at