[elbe-devel] Elbe ignores Built-Using fields

Bastian Germann bage at linutronix.de
Mon Mar 23 13:48:29 CET 2020

Am 23.03.20 um 13:33 schrieb Olivier Dion:
> On Fri, 13 Mar 2020, Bastian Germann <bage at linutronix.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Debian Policy 7.8 [0] defines a Built-Using field that has to list
>> packages in case of including their content. The most important
>> application of this field is with statically linking object code from a
>> -dev package.
>>
>> Elbe does not take this field into consideration for src-cdrom creation.
>> It should do this because this field influences the complete and
>> corresponding source code. The binary package list should be parsed for
>> this field and the resulting packages' source packages should be added
>> to the source package list. Note that Built-Using always comes with an
>> exact version number for each package in its list.
>>
>> If you need an example for implementation, look at go-bindata.
>>
>> [0]: https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html
>
> If I understand correctly, this should be done while doing the binary
> cdrom?  i.e. mk_binary_cdrom would somehow return a list of packages to
> add to the source cdrom in mk_source_cdrom.  Also where does this field
> can be found except in the *.dsc file?

The field cannot be found in the dsc files but in a binary package's
control file, i.e.

apt-cache show go-bindata | grep Built-Using
dpkg-deb -f go-bindata*.deb Built-Using

The packages in Built-Using are actually specified to be source package
names. I did not check yet where to get that info in elbe. I think you
do not need to touch mk_binary_cdrom but only mk_source_cdrom.