[elbe-devel] Best way to build kernel & u-boot in an elbe setup?

Norbert Nemec | BLOKS. nn at bloks.de
Mon Jan 25 15:29:16 CET 2016

Hi there,

I am just trying to set up our build environment with elbe.

As a starting point, I had a buildroot environment that cross-compiled
custom builds of the kernel and u-boot and set up every perfectly to
boot correctly. Doing this cross-compiling is part of the buildroot
configuration, so I had a straightforward, complete solution to build
the whole system, described by a small set of configuration files.

So far, with elbe, I just re-used the binaries from the buildroot setup.
But I would like a straightforward, reproduceable and documented way to
build my system. I am therefore setting up scripts that do the necessary
steps with elbe. However, I am not quite sure how kernel and u-boot
should best be built.

Currently, I am cross-compiling kernel and u-boot inside the initvm.
Compiling them inside the virtual target architecture seems like a waste
of time, since cross-compiling is really straightforward for these pages.

I understand the value of the virtual environment to avoid
cross-compiling of applications with all their library dependencies. For
kernel and boot-loaded I don't see the point.

Is this really the way to go? How do others build kernel&bootloader with
elbe? How is it supposed to be done?

Greetings,
Norbert

--
Dr. Norbert Nemec
Software Manager

BLOKS. GmbH
Agnes-Pockels-Bogen 1
80992 Munich
Germany

Phone +49 89 5505 461 - 21
Email nn at bloks.de

VAT-ID: DE297724169 | Registered Court: AG Munich | HRB 215232 | Managing Director: Daniel Meermann