[elbe-devel] buildchroot subcommand missing in elbe v1.1 (Debian jessie)

Manuel Traut manuel.traut at linutronix.de
Mon Mar 6 20:20:26 CET 2017

Hi Lukasz,

> Thank you very much for your explanations.
>
> >The buildchroot subcommand is only available inside the initvm:
>
> ... however, elbe v0.9.4 obviously used to support the 'buildchroot' subcommand directly:
>
> lwa at jessie:~$ ./elbe/elbe
> elbe v0.9.4
> need a subcommand: e.g. 'elbe init'.
>     Available subcommands are:
>
>         * adjustpkgs
>         * bootup-check
>         * buildchroot
> [...]

The same is posible if you do a git clone of current elbe and run from git.
Just not all subcommands are packaged in the 'elbe' debian package. Some of
them that we think should run inside the initvm are packaged in the
elbe-buildenv package.

> I took over a project that was bound to that particular version of Elbe - the dependency that I am struggling to relax right now - therefore my attempts to understand what has changed since then.
>
> >The initvm is needed to avoid dependencies to your host-pc for image
> >generation.
>
> Am I right, that the historic version did not have this feature, i.e. it did not create an 'initvm' to decouple from the host machine, but instead performed the image generation natively?

nope, the feature was always there. But for 0.5.x releases the 'initvm' needed
to be the same architecture as the target, but this limitation was removed in
0.9.x.

Regards,

  Manuel