[elbe-devel] buildchroot subcommand missing in elbe v1.1 (Debian jessie)

Lukasz Walewski lwalewski at s-can.at
Tue Mar 7 10:39:54 CET 2017

Dear Manuel,

>> >The initvm is needed to avoid dependencies to your host-pc for image
>> >generation.
>>
>> Am I right, that the historic version did not have this feature, i.e.
>it did not create an 'initvm' to decouple from the host machine, but
>instead performed the image generation natively?
>
>nope, the feature was always there. But for 0.5.x releases the 'initvm'
>needed
>to be the same architecture as the target, but this limitation was
>removed in
>0.9.x.

All right, thanks, that was the missing piece in my puzzle!

To summarize, the way to go is to create an instance of 'initvm' using 'elbe initvm create' and then build the RFS image by submitting the XML file to that 'initvm' using 'elbe initvm submit'. In order to use the 'elbe buildchroot' subcommand directly one would need to install the elbe-buildenv package on the host machine, which is not really meant for that. Otherwise the 'high level' commands should do for normal usage. Right?

Now, my workflow involves potential improvements in the RFS, which need to be continuously integrated into the company's deployment system. Obviously I would like to save the cost of creating and destroying the 'initvm' on the build host upon every incoming change in the XML, archive, etc. Optimal would be to run the 'initvm' as an operating system service, which would be started at OS startup (e.g. from one of the /etc/init.d scripts) and located in some well defined/configurable directory (e.g. /var/run/elbe). That would guarantee the availability of the 'initvm' in case of an automatic reboot of the build host after a failure, etc. Thus the follow-up question: is there a mechanism implemented for such a use case?

Best regards,
Lukasz

scan Messtechnik GmbH
Brigittagasse 22-24
A-1200 Wien/Vienna
tel. +43 1 219 73 93 - 0
fax +43 1 219 73 93 - 12
http://www.s-can.at
office at s-can.at

Geschaeftsfuehrer/President: DI Andreas Weingartner
Firmenbuchnummer/Incorporation No: FN178880i
Gerichtsstand/Court of Jurisdiction: Wien/Vienna

s::can - intelligent, optical, online

i::scan - compact, precise and affordable!
UV254::NTU::FTU::TOC::DOC::COD::BOD::Colour ...and many more to come!
http://www.i-scan.at